2020 ROSSLAND WINTER CARNIVAL SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
*Events and times subject to change.
For a current schedule, refer to rosslandwintercarnival.com
Rossland Winter Carnival Snowman events for young carnival participants and spectators
- The world famous professional carving team, Slocan Snow Sculptures, will be creating snow sculptures downtown and a kids’ double slide at the library
- Blizzard Music Festival presenting great music all weekend. Individual tickets available at The Flying Steam Shovel or through www.blizzardmusicfest.com
- Free Skating (Washington & 4th Ave) open to the public weather permitting*
- Winter Carnival Poster Contest open to any artist 18 or younger. Design and submit a poster for next year’s Winter Carnival to Nelson and District Credit Union in Rossland for display. The winner will receive $100 prize.
- Rossland Beer Company presents “Give us your best Olaus” – To enter have your photo taken at (1990A Columbia Ave). Thurs – Sat 1:00pm – 8:00pm. Winner of a T-shirt & growler will be announced by Tues, January 30
- Tarot card, astrology & psychic readings at the Gold Rush Bookstore. Thurs. thru Sat. 10:00am – 6:00pm. Appointments can be made by calling 362-5454
- Rossland Public Library has public washrooms, free wifi & a place to warm up. Fri. 10am – 8pm; Sat. 10am – 5pm. Visit the Kids’double slide & view the snow sculpture in the yard.
- Join us for family fun at the museum! Open regular hours, 11 am- 5 pm, entry by donation. Come for some:
All day, Fri. 24th & Sat.25th at the Rossland Museum:
-Warm up indoors with some great Winter Carnival themed crafts! Playdough and colouring sheets will also be available for the little ones! Activity by donation. Hot Chocolate and Apple Cider available all day.
-Have a SNOW-MAZEING time with snow-painting and new snow maze!We have been working hard to confuse those that attempt this wild maze!
-Test your agility in the snow during our annual kids’ snow races. Snowshoe races at 2 pm; Potato sack race at 2:45 pm; Parent/child toboggan pull race at 3:30pm; and Smoosh Race at 4:15 pm. Prizes to be won! Please bring your own snowshoes and sleds; we have a limited supply of sleds, magic carpets, and snow stompers.
- 6:30pm Bobsled inspection and registration at The Legion.
- 7:00pm Blizzard Music Festival Presents live music at The Alpine Grind (2104 Columbia Ave). Doors open at 5:30pm
- 7:00pm The Winter Carnival Variety Show featuring the Boomtown Garter Girls, at RSS (2390 Jubilee St) sponsored by NDCU. Advanced tickets: Adults $8, students & seniors $6, family (4) $23 available at the Rossland NDCU, and Curiosity Clothing & Gifts. Tickets at the door: ALL $10 or family (4) $30. Doors open at 6:30. Pre-show music by The Golden City Fiddlers. For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8:00pm Calcutta auction Rossland Legion. Public welcome. All bobsled teams sold at auction, if your team wins 1st, 2nd, 3rd or “wild place” in Saturday’s race, you win cash. Featuring a performance by the Boomtown Garter Girls
- 9:00pm – 11:00pm Blizzard Music Festival presents live music at St. Andrews United Church. Doors open at 8:00pm.
- 10:00am – 1:00am Blizzard Music Festival presents live music live music at The Flying Steamshovel. Doors open at 9:00pm.
- 12:00pm – 3:00pm Learn to Luge, Luge to Live at RED Mountain Resort. Helmets, snow boots, and waivers mandatory $20 adults, $10 children under 12. Register at the course.
- 1:00pm Return of King of the Mountain Race – Ski, telemark, & snowboard tri-discipline at RED Mountain Resort. $20 registration at 12:00pm at the base lodge conference room.
- 6:15pm City of Rossland Carnival Parade (Columbia Ave). All Entrants meet on Columbia and Monte Christo at 5:45pm to be placed in the parade lineup and pick up your tickets for prizes. Parade starts at 6:00pm. All Entrants will receive a ticket to win one of 3 door prizes! Costumes and/or float mandatory. Draw immediately after the parade at the end of the parade route. Entrants must be present to win. Best Group Float, Best Business Float, and Best Spirit of Carnival will receive an Olaus statuette sponsored by MoFab
- 7:15pm – 7:45pm Pyro4ya! A spectacular fire show for all ages at Harry Lefevre Square (Columbia & Washington).
- 8:45pm Pyro4ya! LED Light Show Extravaganza with hoop, staff, and juggling at the Olaus Ice Palace (Queen & Columbia)
- BLIZZARD MUSIC FEST presents live music at:
- 8:00pm – 9:00pm
Lily May Room (Miners Hall Attic). Doors: 7:00pm.
- 9:00pm – 10:30pm
Olaus Ice Palace Beer Garden (2071 Columbia Ave) Doors: 8:00pm. Tickets at the door. First come, first serve. (Bring two pieces of ID.)
- 10:00pm – 1:00am
• Rafters. Doors: 9:00pm.
• The Flying Steamshovel. Doors: 9:00pm.
• The Eagles. Doors: 9:00 pm
- ALL DAY Adventure Smart is offering outdoor safety information and free give-aways across the street from the Alpine Grind and in front of the Thought Exchange building.
- 9:00am – 1:00pm CANCELED GOAT FM & JUICE FM presents The Sonny Samuelson Bobsled Race down Spokane St. Bobsled MANDATORY brake & steering inspection at the Legion on or before Jan. 23. Email email@example.com to arrange an inspection before that date. Wavers due & the Calcutta Auction at the Legion Jan. 23 at 8:00pm. For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Award presentation at 1:30pm at Olaus Ice Palace (Queen & Columbia). Prizes donated by Rossland Beer Company. CANCELED
- 10:00am – 6:00pm House of Paws Grand Opening. Lots of prizes to be won, big sales, and more! Enter to win free pet food for 1 year.
- 10:00am – 4:00pm RED Mountain Resort presents “The Game” Rail Jam (Queen & Columbia). Registration Saturday 9 – 11am on site at the rail jam $20. Helmets and waivers mandatory. Event begins at noon. Awards: 4:00pm
- 12:00pm – 3:00pm Learn to Luge, Luge to Live at RED Mountain Resort. Helmets, snow boots, and waivers mandatory. $20 adults, $10 children under 12. Register at the course.
- 12:00pm – 3:00pm Come and make your best snow man or woman during our 3rd Annual Snowman making Competition! Some supplies & snow fashion available, we supply the snow and noses! Judging will commence at 3 pm by our talented museum official, great prizes to be won! Come get some pure maple taffy from our lovely staff and volunteers at our Cabane a sucre 1 pm: Kootenay Gateway is hosting their annual snowshoe tour and snow science program on Saturday afternoon. Tour begins at 1pm and is by donation when you arrive, but please RSVP with the museum!
- 12:00pm – 4:00pm EZ Rock presents the 22nd Annual Powder Pounder Snow Volleyball Tournament. Co-ed 4s & beach rules. $20 per team. Snow court setup @ 11am, registration @ 11.30am or pre-register to ensure your spot to Ben at email@example.com. Max of 8 teams. Let the games begin at 12pm! (Queen Street behind The Olaus Ice Palace)
- 12:00pm – 4:00pm Rossland Mountain Market at the Miners Hall (1765 Columbia Ave). Join us for fresh winter produce, local meat, food producers and your favourite artisans! Hot food and live music! Free admission.
- 1:00pm Skijor with your dog! A fun run, classic or skate ski, with your dog at Black Jack Cross Country Ski Club. One full dog loop. Race fee $15, all proceeds donated to the SPCA. Registration 10:30 – 12:30 at the trail head cabin. All racers must have a valid day or season trail pass. *NEW*
- 3:00pm – 4:00pm Olaus Ice Palace Beer Garden (Queen & Columbia) and Blizzard Music Fest present live music. Doors open at 2:00pm. Sonny Samuelson Bobsled awards at the completion of the race. (Bring 2 pieces of ID.) No entry fee. 3:00pm – 7:00pm Mythopoeic Productions presents an interactive perforrnance at Esling Par
- 6.30pm Rossland Warriors hockey game at the Rossland Arena. Doors open at 5:45; beer gardens at 6:00. BLIZZARD MUSIC FESTIVAL presents live music at:
- 8:00pm – 9:00pm Lily May Room (Miners Hall Attic). Doors: 7pm.
9:00pm – 11:00pm •Olaus Ice Palace Beer Garden (Queen & Columbia) Doors: 8pm. Bring 2 pieces of ID.• The Josie. Doors: 8:00pm
- 10:00pm – 1:00am • The Miners Hall (Main Stage). Doors: 9:00pm. • Flying Steamshovel. Doors: 9pm.
- 9:00am The Olaus Invitational BC Cup Luge Race at RED Mountain Resort. Helmets, snow boots, and waivers mandatory $30. Registration at the course.
- 1:00pm John Heintz Relay Race (downhill ski, nordic ski, bike, snowshoe and run) from the top of Red Mountain. Fun for everyone! Pre-registration at Bear Country Kitchen until Jan. 26 and on event day from 10am – 12pm at RED Mountain Resort in the Conference Room. $50 per team or $20 for individuals. Awards ceremony to follow. Race will start and end at RED Mountain Resort.
- 3:00pm Rossland Warriors Hockey game at the Rossland Arena. Doors open at 2:15, Beer gardens at 2:30. CANCELED
Check out the many food vendors along Columbia Ave. and the restaurants around town throughout carnival weekend. *While supplies last
- Meat Street Friday afternoon throughout the weekend
- Hooper’s Bakery Baked goods, coffee, and sandwiches at their location on Columbia during business hours. $5 meat pies during Friday bobsled race (chicken & mushroom or braised beef)
- Mountain Nugget Open until 8pm Friday to Sunday. Serving churro waffles, soft serve, hot fudge sundaes
- Zee Crepe Serving crepes beside Century 21 starting on Friday at 3:30pm, Saturday 9:30 am, and Sunday 10:00 am
- The Rock Cut Pub
- All weekend $15 beer & veggie dog/ hot dog special in support of Black Jack Kids Ski Club. Includes entry into contest. All proceeds to Black Jack. Aussie Meat Pies & lamington cake in celebration of Australia Day all day Sun., made by an Aussie. Wing-eating competition on Sun. Registration anytime before the competition. Competition starts at 5:00 pm. Entry $10. Proceeds to Black Jack Kids Ski Club. Meat draw for the Kiwanis Club of Trail on Sunday.
- Century 21 Serving hot chocolate and hot dogs in front of the Century 21 office. Date and time TBA
- Mook Thai Serving Thai food in front of the Olaus Ice Palace Beer Gardens throughout the weekend.
- Golden Bear Children’s Centre (at bottom of the bobsled course) will be doing hot choc, coffee & rice crispy treats.
- 3:00pm – 8:00pm Nelson & District Credit Union serving free hot spiced apple juice at Queen and Columbia.
- 8:00am – 4:00pm Pizza Fridays at the Alpine Grind. Also serving their regular menu.
- 12:00pm – 5:00pm BBQ at the Eagles.
- 7:30am – 10:00am Firefighters Pancake Breakfast. Located at the fire hall on 2nd Ave.
- 9:00am Golden Bear Children’s Centre (bottom of the bobsled course) will be hosting a fundraiser selling hot beverages during the bobsled race and hot beverages and finger foods during business hours.
- 8:00am – 12:00pm West Kootenay Snowgoers will be serving egg mcmuffins, grilled cheese, & coffee & hot chocolate at the bottom of the race for the participants & spectators at The Sonny Samuelson Bobsled Race.
- 11:00am The Rossland Pottery Club is selling chilli served in locally made pottery in front of NDCU.
- 11:00am Sweet Dreams Cakery will be serving delicious treats at Harry Lefevre Square.
- 11:30am – 1:30pm Ukrainian and Russian Borscht and homemade pie served at the Legion.
- 11:00am – 5:00pm Golden City Lions Club serving sausages, hot dogs, hot chocolate, coffee, and hot apple cider at Harry Lefevre Square.
- 12:00am – 5:00pm BBQ at the Eagles.
Restaurants, Pubs, Cafés
The Rock Cut Pub, The Flying Steam Shovel Gastropub, Mook Thai, Clansey’s, Gabriella’s, Idgie’s, The Alpine Grind, Ake Dake, Rafter’s Pub, The Josie Hotel Restaurant, Mountain Nugget, Hooper’s Bakery, 7 Summits Coffee Company
Banner Video – David Colhoun